First Week of Work


Joe was still at work so I decided to hold off on my long run until he was home on Monday.  Instead, I decided to go for a 2 mile run in the neighborhood to make up for my missing mile the day before. 

I decided to go a little further so I could get a better feel for the area and maybe even find some new things.  I found a cute little park with a tennis court so that was neat since it’s free.  The nice one by the lakes you have to pay for but it does have a little club house.

After my run I just relaxed at the pool and enjoyed not having to do anything.


Happy Labor Day!  After a restless night, I woke up bright and early and decided I better not wait for Joe for my long run.  It was going to be too late in the morning and too hot by the time he got back from work.  I quickly ate a bagel and was at the park by 6:30 am.

I managed to get once around the lakes before the sun was really up which really helped my pace.  I seemed to manage ok without carrying water and only relying on the bubblers around the lakes.  It did get much harder my second lap around the lakes, and I started to slow down.  I had about 4 miles to go when all of a sudden I saw a familiar face.  Joe was running toward me!  He ran the last 4 miles with me and encouraged me till the end. He also carried my water bottle so that helped tremendously. 

I finished my 15 mile run in 2 hours 12 minutes at a pace of 8:48 minutes per mile.  I’ve only run 15 miles once before and even though I was slower this time, I worked a lot harder due to the heat and especially the humidity.

Joe and I went to Trader Joe’s to get some groceries and then hung out at the pool.  We talked with a girl from Rhode Island and related about the heat and bugs. 

After dinner we watched American Ninja Warrior till I fell asleep around 9:00 pm


Well today was my first day at my new job.  I spent the day filling out paperwork and introducing myself to people.  Everyone was very friendly and nice.  Of course I don’t remember anyone’s name yet, but I’m sure I will learn soon enough.

Since it’s an old building, designed before the invention of the modern day cubicle, I actually have my own little office.  It’s nice that I have my own space but it wasn’t cleaned out at all so it wasn’t very inviting.  It felt like I was sitting in someone else’s office rather than my own.  It has no window and isn’t near any form of sunlight so I feel like I am in a closet.  It’s a little claustrophobic. 

Joe took me out to lunch since I didn’t want to bring a lunch my first day.  We just went to Subway since parking seemed to be an issue and it was too hot to sit outside and eat from one of the food trucks.

It was raining by the time I was done with work so I ran my 4 miles on the treadmill while Joe lifted weights.

We had tacos for dinner and called it a night.


Pretty much did nothing at work other than more paperwork.  I cleaned out all the desk drawers that I could.  They were filled with packets of ketchup, hot sauce, mustard, and even grape jelly.  It was gross. 

Joe was working and it was raining by the time I was done work.  That meant another 5 miles on the treadmill.  Running on the treadmill is terrible for anything longer than half an hour.  It is just boring and makes the run seem like torture rather than an enjoyable hobby. 


Again I had nothing to do so I asked for some cleaning supplies to throughly clean and sanitize my office.  There was dust everywhere so I even got on my knees and was scrubbing the baseboards.  I’m not the neatest person but it looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in years. 

Joe was home and it wasn’t raining yet so we ran 4 miles through the neighborhood. I took him by the park I found and we ran a different way back to the apartment.

We had chicken alfredo for dinner with some Chuck Shaw.  I showed my parents the apartment on Facetime and talked to them about how things were going at work. 

We watched the Packer game until I fell asleep sometime after halftime. 


I was able to do some actual work so I felt somewhat useful today.  Some of the system I am very familiar with so that made it easy.  The rest of the afternoon I tried to organize some of the papers and things in my office.

Joe and I ran 1 mile together through the neighborhood.  We ate salmon for dinner that Joe marinated with lemon and butter. 

We finished off the night by watching the first two episodes of House of Cards.  It took us about an hour to decide on what to watch.  Joe had never heard of it but luckily for me he likes politics and so far likes the show. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s